Telling Our History
This stately brick home in Philippi, West Virginia is set against the rolling hills of Barbour County WV and was built in 1870. The 23-room, Greek Revival mansion has been restored with great attention to authenticity, featuring homemade brick and walnut woodwork throughout. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The barn was built in approximately 1850. It has also been restored and is open to the public during tour season.
The house and land reflect the early history of West Virginia. With two socially prominent West Virginians owning the property: the original owner, Augustus Modisett, a prominent 19th century landowner, farmer, and county sheriff who built the home during the Civil War; and the Honorable Ira E. Robinson, a justice of the West Virginia Supreme Court and later chairman of the Federal Radio Commission. The house is located on the old Beverly to Fairmont turnpike, built in 1841.