This is a test
This stately brick home at Philippi, West Virginia is set against the rolling hills of Barbour County and was built in 1870. The 23-room, Greek Revival mansion house has been restored with great attention to authenticity and features homemade brick and walnut woodwork throughout. and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The barn was built approximately 1850. It has also been restored and is open to the public during tour season.
The house and land reflect the early history of West Virginia. Two socially prominent West Virginians owned the property: the original owner, Augustus Modisett, a prominent 19th century landowner, farmer, and politician who built the home after the Civil War; and the Honorable Ira E. Robinson, a justice of the West Virginia Supreme Court and later chairman of the Federal Radio Commission. Emancipated slaves from the farm worked on the construction of the house. which is located on the old Beverly to Fairmont turnpike, built in 1841.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Listed in the AAA Mid-Atlantic Tour Guide, the West Virginia Museums Directory, the West Virginia Tourist Network, the West Virginia Visitors' Guide, and in West Virginia Weddings.
Featured in "55 Good Things About West Virginia," a supplement of the The State Journal, Summer Issue 2012.
ADALAND MANSION DEVELOPMENT, INC
In 1996, Anker Energy and Philippi Development Inc. of the Sentinel Mine donated the buildings and 20.3 acres to the City of Philippi for the purpose of developing the property into a house museum, tourism and cultural site. A group of volunteers along with local garden clubs worked with the city for more than five years to restore the mansion. The house opened for tours and events in 1999. In 2001, the state of West Virginia chartered Adaland Mansion Development, Inc. as an independent non-profit organization, which also operates as a 501(c)3 non-profit organization under the Internal Revenue Code. The City of Philippi deeded the property to Adaland Mansion Development in 2001. An elected 12-member board of directors oversees the operation of the non-profit. The organization operates under approved bylaws under the direction of a part-time volunteer executive director, a volunteer marketing director, a volunteer treasurer and seven part-time employees and one full-time employee.
VOLUNTEER AT ADALAND
We have 5000 visitors each year and a total of approximately 80 events that include 25 bus tours and 10 weddings. We are supported by volunteer workers from the community who assist paid staff for special events. We provide training for our volunteers annually.
Keep a good thing going by becoming a volunteer!